I am a huge fan of barbecue pulled chicken. It’s delicious in tacos, sandwiches, macaroni & cheese, and the list goes on. As much as I love ordering barbecue pulled chicken at restaurants, I had always shied away from making it myself. It just seemed so daunting and easy to mess up. I worried about over or undercooking the chicken, adding too much spice, or worse, adding too little spice. Recently though I was craving a barbecue pulled chicken sandwich and decided to face my fears.
After doing my research, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to prepare barbecue pulled chicken. Essentially, all the ingredients are mixed together in a sauce pan and simmered until the chicken is cooked. I had nothing to worry about because barbecue pulled chicken is easy to make and enjoy.
Packing this Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwich on the go.
Not only is barbecue pulled chicken is easy to make, it also reheats and travels well. When packing for lunch, I store the chicken in a microwave safe dish and pack the other ingredients separately. When I’m ready to reheat, I microwave the chicken until warm and then add to the remaining sandwich ingredients.
For a toasted sandwich, use toaster bags. Remember to make the sandwich thin enough to fit in one toasting slot. For other pointers on using toaster bags, see my recipe for chorizo and refried bean burritos.
Finding the right cheese for a Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwich.
Several options can be used for cheese in this barbecue chicken sandwich recipe. It all depends on personal taste. For example, if you’re a fan of spice then pepper jack would be a great addition. If you prefer traditional grilled cheese, cheddar is a great option. Personally, I’m a fan of muenster cheese. It doesn’t overpower the other ingredients and links the pineapple taste to that of the barbecue chicken.
- 2 boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1-2 cups Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh Pineapple
- Sliced Cheese
- Hamburger Buns
- Cut onion in half and discard or save the remaining half for another use. Chop onion into slices and mince or finely chop garlic.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, sriracha sauce, and salt & pepper to sauce pan. Pour water into pot until chicken is fully covered.
- Bring ingredients in sauce pan to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. I like to flip chicken halfway through to ensure chicken breasts are cooked evenly.
- Confirm chicken is cooked thoroughly, the internal temperature should be at least 165°F. Remove chicken from pot and shred while sauce continues to simmer with cover off. After sauce is thick, about 15 minutes, add chicken and mix well.
- Thinly slice pineapple and add to hamburger bun along with cheese and shredded chicken.
- If chicken has cooled, microwave to heat and then add to hamburger bun along with pineapple and sliced cheese.