It feels good to post again! I had only intended to take a short break from my blog while I moved apartments but then the days turned into weeks and my attention turned to finalizing plans for my wedding, plus transitioning into a new job at work. I’m back though and really excited to share my chicken salad sandwich recipe.
I’ve prepared this chicken salad sandwich recipe about every other week this summer. Not only is it easy and inexpensive to make, it’s also a great recipe for spoiling my dog Buddy. He loves chicken so much that he doesn’t chew it, he inhales it. Whenever I’m preparing this recipe, I cook a double batch of chicken and freeze the extra to give to Buddy as treats.
Packing this Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe on the go.
As the theme of my blog suggests, I always try and pack a lunch for work. And now that my wedding is just a few short months away, the pressure is really on to eat healthy and save money. This chicken salad sandwich recipe is perfect for those goals and so easy to pack for work. I pack the chicken salad ingredients in a travel container to keep in the fridge at my office. I also bring a loaf of bread and a bag of mixed greens. When lunchtime rolls around, I use the break room toaster and assemble my chicken salad sandwich. I’m always a bit cautious of recipes containing mayonnaise so I try and use the leftovers for this sandwich within three days.
I always use a food thermometer when I cook meat, especially chicken and eggs, which I find are very easy to overcook. For this recipe, I highly recommend using a meat thermometer when cooking the chicken. As I mentioned in my post about grilling meals at work, I also highly recommend the Black & Decker toaster (from Amazon.com) with extra wide slots. I love mine so much that I bought an extra one to take to work.
Click ingredient links to find product on Amazon Fresh.
- Place chicken in a large pot and add water to thoroughly cover. Mince garlic and add to the pot along with salt and pepper.
- Place pot of chicken on stove and turn to high until water begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken is 165°F.
- Remove chicken from pot, allow to cool, and shred or chop into small pieces.
Prepare Chicken Salad Sandwich:
- Chop green onions and celery and add to a medium sized bowl. Stir in juice from 1/2 lemon, mayonnaise, almonds, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and mix well.
- Heat bread in toaster until lightly toasted. Top with chicken salad mixture and mixed greens.